Friday Feature: Understand Ship Weapon Damage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Feature: Understand Ship Weapon Damage

Welcome to the latest edition of the Friday Feature! This week's feature is courtesy of one of our resident space experts, DJ Malsidious. Looking for a new challenge, but always tired of getting blown up in space? Maybe your weapon isn't up to par. This feature will help you figure out what your ships weapons are actually doing and may make you re-think your loadout.

Greetings everyone and thank you for joining. I'm DJ Malsidious and without further delay, let's dig right in!

Weapon damage is actually a lot more complicated then you'd think. Let's start with reviewing this weapon. Please take a moment to look at the stats and make your guess on what the actual damage is:

Ship Weapon A
    Armor: 200
    Drain: 1800
    Mass: 4000
    Min Damage: 500
    Max Damage: 1000
    Vs Shields: .500
    vs Armor: .500
    Eps (energy per shot): 20
    RR (refire rate .37

If you said 500-1000, you'd be incorrect. The actual is 50% less. Before throwing your keyboard at me let's investigate why. 500-1000 is the base weapon damage, however it's also affected by vss/a or also known as versus shields (vss) and versus armor (vsa). Or short hand vss/a combining both. In this case, the weapon only has 0.500 vss/a and you're losing 50% of your base weapon damage due to weapon efficiecy. If you had a 1.00 vss/a then you'd have 100% of the weapon damage taking place. A higher vss/a will add more of the total base damage in.

Let's further your understanding now. Please review the next weapon and guess what the actual damage is.

Ship Weapon B
    Armor: 200
    Drain: 1800
    Mass: 4000
    Min Damage: 500
    Max Damage: 1000
    Vs Shields: .700
    vs Armor: .400
    Eps (energy per shot): 20
    RR (refire rate .37

If you said 70% to shields, but only 40% to armor, you'd be correct. This arrangement might be ok on smaller fighters, but versus a heavily armored ship, such as a gunboat, you'd might need more shots than usual to make up the difference. A wise pilot keeps their capacitor above 75% incase of healing is needed. Spending more energy could place you in a tactically bad situation.

So if vss/a makes such a huge impact on damage and I'm only getting a percentage of the damage as actual, how do I improve this outside of better vss/a?

Droid Commands. Weapon Overload will help negate some of the penalty by adding overwhelming brute force. Weapon Overload IV for example: Increases weapon damage by 200% and energy per shot and reactor drain by 1000% Base weapon damage is improved, but not vss/a. That is a very important and distinct detail not to overlook.

So if you were to Reverse Engineer a weapon, make sure to keep close eye on the options for vss/a as that greatly impacts your overall damage. Sometimes it's worth holding off pulling the trigger on a project to gain 1% to 5% extra damage. Especially when factoring in droid commands.

Thank you for taking time to read this article and I hope it's been of value. Should you have more questions, contact DJ Malsidious on discord.

Are you a resident expert in your field? Have some helpful tips for the community? You too can be the topic of our Friday Feature. Send your writeups to one of the CSR team to be the next Feature!

Very informative, ty

Comment

Working...
    X